Sunday, August 8, 2010

Review: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman


{Synopsis}

When Richard Mayhew stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternate reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.


{My thoughts}

I was in college when I got this book, it was my second Neil Gaiman novel and because of my horrible schedule I never had the time to finish this novel. It was nice to look through my old books, specially the ones I never finished and find this one waiting for me to read.

I really loved this book, despite it's dark, dreary feel placed in the world of sewers and underground tunnels. I really liked the way London Above and Below intertwine, how eccentric all the characters there were. Silly, but it made me wanted an "Underworld" as well, where normal shopping malls become something else at night, where people can barter things for important trinkets or even a corpse. But despite all it's Fantasy-goodness, I still saw the real English humor and reality in Richard. Neil Gaiman was able to fuse the world of fantasy and reality so well in this book that you actually think it might really exist.

What I have learned is something that a lot of people have learned and re-learned, something that I still keep having to remind myself as well everyday....appreciating things/people more when they are gone.  In the end, Richard finds out what he really wants, and actually gets a chance at it.


{My Rating}
★★★★☆ : FANTABULOUS! - Such a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment