Monday, August 9, 2010

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

{Synopsis}
Enter Stage Right

All her world's a stage.
Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.
She is not an orphan, but she has no parents.
She knows every part, but has no lines of her own.
Until now.

Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every place ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.
  

{My thoughts}

What I loved about this book was that it was placed in a theater. I have performed myself when I was younger and it was nice to be able to relate to the love for plays. The entire theater is controlled by The Book, characters from real plays come and go as they please, their pages are written and their set designs are described and magically appear and disappear. When I picked it up and read it's synopsis I thought maybe it would be a good book to read since I could relate to being a thespian, but in truth I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, and I really wanted to.

A lot of the characters in this book were interesting, Bertie was always the misfit, but proved to be too difficult to handle. I loved Nate, and how he always tried to save her every time she was in trouble. Ariel on the other hand just plainly bothered me his twisted character was confusing, I suppose that's what he was supposed to be...confusion. Her four fairy friends were hilarious, always making the scene better, I even wanted a few of my own after I read the book. But at some point, I really didn't know what this book was about. What was the real conflict, there was so many of them put into the table that you don't really know what's going on and hope it all ends well. I couldn't understand if everything happened in a day, how it all happened? Where was what going? Although the setting was magical to say the least and the characters were interesting, the storyline was kind of scattered.

{My Rating}

★★☆☆☆ : OKAY - Just to pass the time.

Maybe someone younger will enjoy it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment